VA CIO Stephen Warren provides a powerful message at FedTalks 2014 on How VA Turned Itself Around With Agile Development. There are key messages that DoD executives must understand, embrace, and apply.
Some of his key takeaways include:
- The greatest impediment to delivering something is how long you take to deliver it
- If you can’t do it in 6 months, don’t bother
- Lock the time – flex scope
- Deliver capabilities, not reports
- Don’t ever re-baseline – Even during the government shutdown, they held the delivery dates
- The only measure of success is delivery to a date